NOTE: We strongly recommend that you avoid cleaning with chemicals and/or high heat. More on that here!
1. After washing your hands and cup, simply fold your Keeper or Moon Cup by pressing the sides of the lightweight, flexible cup together (Illus. 1)
2. Then, fold the cup in half again (Illus. 2).
3. Now, hold the folded Keeper or Moon Cup between your thumb and index finger, as shown in Illus. 2.
4. To insert The Keeper or Moon Cup, sit on the toilet (or in an equally relaxed position) and insert your foldedKeeper or Moon Cup completely into the vagina. Let the cup unfold by releasing your fingers.
5. After inserting, gently rotate it with your fingertips, before gently pulling it down and forward into position at your vaginal opening. Gently pull on the stem and you should feel that your Keeper or Moon Cup is firmly in place.
6. As you can see in illus. 3, The Keeper and The Moon Cup follow the natural slant of your vagina. Neither one touches the cervix; both rest comfortably below it. Be sure the stem is at the entrance to the vagina, and completely outside of your body.
Tip: Find a comfortable position that will allow you to easily insert your cup. That may be sitting on the toilet, putting one leg up on the edge of the bathtub or squatting.
1. Sit on the toilet and grasp the stem firmly so that the tips of your fingers pinch the base of the cup. This action allows air to enter around the cup, releasing the suction, and making it easy to remove.
2. Ease your Keeper or Moon Cup gently forward and downward, supporting the bottom of the cup with your fingertips to prevent spilling.
3. Empty the contents of the cup into the toilet.
4. If you are still having your period and want to reinsert your Keeper or Moon Cup, simply rinse it or wipe it with a tissue and reinsert.
5. At the end of your period, wash The Keeper or The Moon Cup in soapy water – or it can be rinsed (not soaked) in dilute vinegar solution (1 part vinegar to 9 parts water). Rinse it in this solution for no more than 3 minutes.
6. Let your Keeper or Moon Cup air dry. Place your Keeper or Moon Cup in the convenient cotton fabric bag it came in to store it between periods. Never store your cup in an airtight container.
7. DO NOT rinse or soak your Keeper or Moon Cup in any solution stronger than 1 part vinegar to 9 parts water or in any other chemical solution. Exposing The Keeper or The Moon Cup to such solutions can result in damage to it.
Your Keeper or Moon Cup holds one full ounce of menstrual fluid. Most women produce only 2 to 4 ounces during their entire periods. So, emptying the cup a few times each day is usually sufficient. In a month or two, you will become familiar with your own menstrual flow pattern, and will know when to empty it. Every 8 to 12 hours is typical; more frequently when experiencing a heavy menstrual flow.
First, be sure to check out all the great information under our Learning tab:
If that doesn’t answer your question then we’d be happy to help you! We are sometimes available for live text chat — look for it at the bottom your screen. Or, just Contact us via phone or e-mail!