The Mesothelioma and Asbestos Awareness Center is encouraging everyone to open their windows, and embrace all that spring has to offer. A big part of the coming of this season is preparing for the ever daunting spring cleaning. Fortunately, there are easy and even fun ways to embrace this practice, that don’t involve harsh or harmful chemicals that can affect your family or your health in the long run. Here are a few tips to kick start your spring cleaning:
- Be sure to change the air filters in your home to reduce pet dander, dust, and other allergen inducing particles in your home
- Find a way to get the whole family involved! Make the kids feel useful by giving them little things to do around the house that they can help out with.
- Make sure you’re informed about the contaminants in your house that can affect your health. For example, most homes built before the 1970’s contain the toxic material asbestos, which can cause mesothelioma, a harmful cancer if it is disturbed or not removed properly. Ensure a professional comes in to assess your home if you think it has asbestos in it!
- Don’t rely on products with chemicals to clean your home, you can make your own! Any combination of baking soda and vinegar can clean most surfaces in your home without the harsh effects of store bought chemicals. Adding a drop or two of essential oils can make it smell great as well!
- Make a list of the things you want to accomplish and clean, but know that it usually won’t get done in one day, be patient and enjoy your cleaning by opening up the windows for some fresh air and turning on a good cleaning playlist to pass the time!
Embrace the new season and go into it with a fresh mind and home! Happy Spring Cleaning!
Join The Keeper & The Moon Cup Newsletter. You will receive sustainable tips and special offers right in your inbox!