The Holiday travel season is right around the corner. Families are busy finishing up shopping, securing motel reservations and getting excited to see loved ones. All that travel does have a significant impact on the Earth. Fortunately there are some easy ways to reduce our impact and have the trip we desire. Last year we offered suggestions to help you pack with less waste in this post. This year we wanted to give you some tips to reduce the impact of your travel.
- Keep the tires in your car properly inflated.
- Offset your emissions for flights (some airlines are even offering this as an add on when you purchase your ticket).
- Plant some trees at your destination.
- Find motels with ecofriendly accommodations- there are many out there!
- Keep your luggage in the car to a minimum. Excess waste decreases gas mileage.
- Consider renting a more fuel efficient vehicle for long drives.
- Take public transportation whenever possible.
- Unplug non-essential lights and appliances before you leave home (learn more in our post on Phantom Power)
- Turn down your thermostat before you leave home.
- Stay within the speed limit (most vehicles get their best MPG around 65MPH)
- Don’t forget your water bottle and emergency winter kit!
- Have fun!
Where are you traveling to this holiday season? What tips do you have? Let us know in the comments or email email@example.com
Happy Holidays from all of us!
Make sure to enter below to win a FREE Keeper or Moon Cup of your choice!! We will pick a new winner every month so make sure to keep coming back to enter!inc
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Olivia lives in Boulder, Colorado with her husband and 4 year old son. She enjoys spending time in the mountains, studying about essential oils, natural remedies and herbs, as well as upcycling/ DIY projects. Olivia’s family made the move last year towards becoming a Zero Waste household. They have gotten down to one bathroom sized trashcan a month of garbage but hope to be totally Zero Waste by the end of 2015.
Giveaway rules: Giveaway ends December 31, 2015 at 10pm EST. Entries will be accepted until 10pm EST via the Rafflecopter widget. Winner will be notified via email and winner will be posted on our Facebook page. Winner shall choose either a Keeper or a Moon cup in either size A or size B. The winner will have one week to claim prize at which point a new winner shall be chosen.