The first day of Spring is a few days away. Life here in Colorado is deceiving this time of year. We’ve had temperatures in the 60s and 70s lately, trees are budding and flowers are blooming. Springtime in the Rockies, however, means SNOW! March and April are typically our wettest months of the year and we’re bound to have a big snowstorm here soon. I’ve lived here my whole life and still end up getting tricked by this weather sometimes. While it’s nice out I really love to do a nice deep Spring cleaning (check out this blog post from last year for some Zero Waste cleaning tips) and then decorate. That way when the snow comes, I remember that it is actually Spring and the 70s will return.
Here are some of my favorite DIY Spring decorations:
- A dried flower wreath
- Fairy gardens (check out this tutorial from Divine Lifestyle)
- Origami flowers
- A small wooden box full or pieces of branches, fallen greens, pinecones, etc. They’re a great way to bring some simple decoration and bring outdoors in. (Try to gather items that have already fallen). This also becomes a fun sensory play box for kids.
- Fresh herbs (try mixing some into a flower bouquet)
- Try adding a couple new mirrors to help open up a space and bring in light
- Wind chimes made from old silverware, tin cans, and other metal scraps
- Eggs~ Did you know you can blow out the inside of an egg? (Here’s a tutorial) Get some beautiful multi-colored eggs from someone locally and use the shells as decorations.
- Decorate a branch with dried or paper flowers and put in a vase for a modern decoration
What other DIY Spring decoration ideas do you have? Let me know in the comments or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Olivia lives in Boulder, Colorado with her husband and 5 year old son. She enjoys spending time in the mountains, studying about essential oils, natural remedies and herbs, as well as upcycling/ DIY projects. Olivia’s family is almost completely Zero Waste and strives to live with as little impact on the Earth as possible. They are currently downsizing and planning to move into a Tiny House in 2016.