Even if you love the planet and want to be eco-conscious, it’s easy to let good green habits slip. Here’s a simple checklist for all of the little things that can add up to become pretty big things for a greener lifestyle. If you do even these 15 green habits on a regular basis, you will be helping the environment in a big way.
- Bring a bag to the grocery store.
- Choose locally grown whenever possible.
- Embrace leftovers and get creative – the “re-use” of food.
- Carry your own water in a reusable bottle.
- Choose cotton, hemp and wool for fabric over synthetics.
- Donate used clothing and household items to charity.
- Take shorter showers.
- Say no to unnecessary disposable products, from paper towel to packaging.
- Hand wash small loads of dishes instead of using the dish washing machine.
- Hang dry your clothes the old fashioned way.
- Invest in energy-efficient appliances and lights.
- Turn the lights and equipment off when you’re leaving the room. That includes turning off your computer!
- Leave the car at home and walk or bike whenever possible, and carpool when you can.
- Turn off the air conditioner. You’ll survive without it, just open the windows!
- Reduce > Reuse > Recycle – Reducing trumps recycling, and reusing falls somewhere in between.
Sometimes it’s the little things that add up to make the most difference. It’s also the accumulation of all the small details that helps to keep respect for the environment front-of-mind on a daily basis. I use this checklist as a reminder for myself and I hope you’ll find it helpful as a quick reminder too.
Jennie Lyon is a green lifestyle writer and the owner of Sweet Greens, the award-winning green lifestyle blog. She posts on simple, fun ways families can go green together – starting with her own. When she isn’t blogging, you will find her paddleboarding, sailing, beach-combing, camping, or spending time with her amazing husband and 14-year old son.